Thursday, August 21, 2014

Say Hello to Trudy

Recently, I had the Butterfly house for sale on Etsy primarily because I just don't have the room for more than one or two houses in my work room.  I have had many requests as to if it was still available and if I could make another one just like it.  I would love to, but I just don't have the time and believe me it cost a small bundle to ship the thing. So rather than making a whole house, I've been toying with the idea of making a modern/mid-century modern room box to sell. Something that doesn't cost your right arm and half a leg to ship.  Here is what I came up with:

 The front porch.

 This one is just a prototype.  Hence the big smear of glue on the floor.

 Floor to ceiling windows in the back.

 Large transom window above the front door.


I call her Trudy because it seems like such a 1950's-1960's name.  I got the inspiration of the name from a character on Mad Men. She is 24" long, 10" tall and 14" deep.  Here she is "naked" with no finishes.  I'm thinking of selling her in her natural state and letting the buyer decide to leave her as is or decorate her to their liking.  She is made of 1/2" furniture grade birch plywood and edged with birch veneer.  I think she would even be sturdy enough for kids.  She is put together with wood glue and pin nails.  I would love some feedback on whether or not you think this would be a good seller and if there is anything you would change.  

16 comments:

  1. Its going to be a great project! I like the sloping posts on the porch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it and would definitely buy it!! I hope you are building more than one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on making them to order with about a 2 week turn around time.

      Delete
  3. I think it would be a great seller. More and more I see peeps dressing single room boxes over houses. I love the large windows at the back. Great for viewing from either side. What's not to love about Trudy? =0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd buy this if it became available! Think it's the porch and the floor-to-ceiling windows that sold me. Though as a possible option/change, might suggest having a third big window in the same side as the door....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can't wait. If there's a sign up sheet for preorders, I'm there! For both options.

      Delete
  5. Will it already be glued together or a kitset? The latter would make postage easier as the parcel would be smaller and would give the new owner the chance to decorate the components before construction...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cyd, your exquisite house reminds me of one of my favorites, the 1952 Rietfeld house, except your house has much cleaner, more modern lines. It really is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Trudy, both the name and the roombox!! I'd love one myself =) Even if this is not as expensive as a whole house to ship, I think it would still be quite expensive to ship to Sweden.. =( It's not easy to find modern roomboxes or houses here in Sweden so I think this is quite unique =) Wishing you good luck selling these beauties, shouldn't be that hard to find buyers for it, because it's just lovely =)
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is great as is your idea of leaving it unfinished. I am wondering if it could hang on a wall. I don’t know if 14” is too deep for a wall hanging room box or not. Is it possible to make an alternate version that is 10” deep without crowding the door?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing! I would love a roombox like that!

    ReplyDelete